Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Two ways out...


Alcoholism is disease that not only destroys the individual but also destroys anyone within peripheral range of the alcoholic. Family and friends desperately try to help the alcoholic understand that life would be so much better if he/she would simply stop drinking.

There are really only two ways out of alcoholism – death or sobriety. Many alcoholics would prefer to drink themselves to death rather than live a sober lifestyle. It is part of the insanity of the disease. The alcoholic toxins that find a home in the frontal lobe of the brain make it nearly impossible for them to make rational or logical decisions.

The only chance for an alcoholic’s survival begins with detoxification of the poisons in the brain and body. Testing to determine the extent of the damage to both brain and body can only be determined when the as much of the toxins as possible have been removed from the alcoholic’s body. Once the alcoholic’s ability to think rationally has returned treatment in a rehab facility becomes more acceptable.

Successful recovery from alcoholism is more likely when the alcoholic attends a long-term residential treatment center. This should include weeks of both group and individual therapy and an introduction to various recovery programs such as, AA or recovery coaching

An important aspect of alcoholism treatment is getting help for the family and friends. It doesn’t matter how good the treatment facility is for the alcoholic, if he/she returns to the same toxic environment, the chance for relapse increases greatly. Rehab centers often offer a program for the family while the alcoholic is a patient. There are also family support groups, such as Al-Anon, that meet regularly. There are also on-line support group, such as OARS Family and Friends Group on FaceBook which allows the opportunity to connect with someone in similar situations on a 24/7 basis.

I offer one-on-one coaching for families & loved ones of alcoholics via video chat or telephone. The charge for a one-hour session is $30 with flexibility as to the one-hour time limit. I am not a licensed therapist, doctor, lawyer or anything else. I offer support, encouragement, suggestions and the opportunity to vent without judgement or criticism.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this fb group still exist? I would love to join

Linda Bartee Doyne said...

To join the FaceBook OARS Group, e-mail me and I'll send you an invitation. ImmortalAlcoholic@gmail.com or LDoyne@live.com.

Unknown said...

I'm what I understand as being a functioning alcoholic. I don't drink during the day but seriously binge drink 5 or 6 times a week.
It'S gone on for years and my wife has understandably had enough. She indulged
I feel, as clearly all alcoholic dependent people do, that life would be lacking without a drink.
Another complication is that I am now 54 and totally blind (since aged 12) and frankly fed up of it. One reason for my increasingly continued drink problem I believe...
We're now looking to separate- is it too late?

Linda Bartee Doyne said...

Unknown -- What are you willing to do to keep from separating? Having been in your wife's shoes, I can tell you it is not enough to simply quit drinking. If you just quit, you are just a drunk who is not drinking. You have to change your attitude,life and your point of view. You have to take responsibility for you past actions because, believe me when I say, women have very long memories. Booze is a formidable mistress and once she takes hold she destroys everything that keeps her from her lover. Can you give her and the lifestyle up?

Whether it's too late or not is really up to your wife. But she is NOT going to just take your word and accept your promises just because you make a declaration. You must ACT like you don't want to lose her before you ever tell her. Even then, it's hard to say if too much damage has been done.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Linda

Scooter Hussy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story so openly and raw-ly (is that a word?). I am on the flip side of the coin, an alcoholic in recovery, who stumbled across your blog while searching. I am only 40 days into my journey, but I have often wondered what my husband felt about my alcoholism. Thank you.